Svitlana Melnyk, Ph.D.
Office number: GA 4037
Office telephone: (812) 855-1868
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Degree: Ph.D in Philology, Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University, 1996. ACTFL OPI Tester Certification, 2014 (Russian). ACTFL OPI Tester Certification, 2016 (Ukrainian).
Specialties/Research Interests: Sociolinguistics, Ukrainian-Russian bilingualism, linguistic minorities, and language management.
Current project: Language policy in Ukraine and its implementation in the sphere of education.
- Pavlenko,A., Jarvis S., Melnyk S. & Sorokina A. (2016) Communicative relevance: Color references in bilingual and trilingual speakers. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition.
- Hogan-Brun, G. & Melnyk, S. (2012) Language policy management in the former Soviet sphere. In Spolsky B. (ed.) The Cambridge Handbook of Language Policy, pp. 592-616
- Melnyk, S & Csernicsko, S. (2010) Etnichne ta movne rozmaittia Ukrainy, (Ethnic and linguistic diversity in Ukraine). Uzhhorod: PoliPrint
- Bilaniuk, L. & Melnyk, S (2008) A tense and shifting balance: Bilingualism and education in Ukraine. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, Volume 11, pp. 340-372
Courses I have taught at IU:
- Advanced Russian
- Business Russian
- Russian Stylistics and Syntax
- Intermediate Ukrainian
- Elementary Ukrainian
- Intro to Ukrainian culture